Saturday, February 21, 2009

Lesson Learned


This is Adeline's science fair project...she did a great job helping me cut out the dye cut letters, adding the colors to the waters and writing down the temperatures at the appropriate times. But, this blog is not about her science fair project per say...it's about an important lesson that every mother must learn. Your kids school projects are not meant to be theirs...they are meant to be a display of your own creative ability on display for other mothers. To make my point, let's all go back a few months/blogs ago to the lovely marshmellow head Mr. Wheeler that A.J. and I did (mostly A.J. as you can tell by the pic). You remember, the one that sister couldn't resist chopping into? Okay, now we're all on the same page and ready for my point. A few weeks after the assignment was turned in, A.J. came home from school saddened that everyone elses ancestor clothes pin dolls were totally awesome including home spun kilts, amazing hair, etc. etc. etc. He had gotten a C on the project when everyone else, he felt, had gotten an A because in essence their Moms had done a far superior job than his had. There it is people...I'm a grade A Loser ( or maybe grade C Loser would be more appropriate). So...this time around when something had to be turned in for display I did not require Adeline to do the entire thing using only her magic marker set, crayons and some scrap paper...NO, I spent time and money on this display using my creative abilities to make it look amazing. So...may this be a lesson to you Mom's out there who haven't learned this lesson yet....It's your grade, so make it good...who cares what they learn in the process, right? I really did feel bad for a few of the Mom's who where putting up there kid's science fair projects with heaven forbid their own kids handwriting and pictures all over the thing!

3 comments:

said...

Thanks for the heads up! I should probably start planning and saving for the 3rd grade science fair now...Although I do think that the competition might be a little stiffer there than here at RosePark?

Eric & Billie Tyler said...

That is a good lesson. Apparently the teacher didn't care if AJ learned more by doing his own project than the kids whose Mom's did theirs. Your science fair poster was great though. Hopefully, I will need to learn that lesson too someday.

AuntieKooKoo said...

Like mother like daughter. Do you remember the year I refused to do one...Mom decided I couldn't risk the F so she did it for me...But to my utter despair I was selected to go the the science fair as finalist for my class. So not only did I not know anything about it I had to sit for 2 nights in a row in a huge gym packed with people all the while talking about my GREAT science project...LOL.